How to Get Known with Mark Schaefer
The internet is constantly and increasingly abuzz with new content, and it can feel difficult to make yourself stand out from the crowd. Today’s guest, Mark Schaefer, joins us to share some critical insights and branding advice from his new book KNOWN: The handbook for building and unleashing your personal brand in the digital age.
Mark W. Schaefer is a globally-recognized author, speaker, podcaster, and business consultant. He teaches graduate marketing classes at Rutgers University and has written six best-selling books including The Tao of Twitter and The Content Code. His many global clients include Pfizer, Cisco, Dell, Adidas, and the US Air Force.
Mark and I begin by recalling his prediction (made three years ago) that content marketing would cease to be effective, which we’re starting to see today. We then chat about his book, why he wanted to write it now, and how it’s different from other personal branding how-tos. Mark offers some great tips for finding your niche, making sure it’s sustainable enough to build a platform on, and what he learned from well-known, successful people across many fields.
Mark outlines a clear and compelling path from obscurity to popularity if you’re willing to do the work to get there. Be sure to tune in below!
If you enjoy the show, please drop by iTunes and leave a review while you are still feeling the love! Reviews help others discover this podcast and I greatly appreciate them!
On Today’s Episode We’ll Learn:
- What you can to do combat the fact that there’s so much content on the internet today.
- Answers to the questions that inspired Mark’s book: Can anybody be “known” today? And how?
- Why “find your passion” isn’t great advice if you want to be known for doing what you love.
- The 35 Headline Test that Mark recommends to determine whether your platform is sustainable.
- Why making an impact on others was one of the most important common denominators in well-known people’s stories.
Key Resources for Mark Schaefer and Becoming Known:
- Connect with Mark: Website | Twitter | Podcast
- Amazon: KNOWN: The handbook for building and unleashing your personal brand in the digital age
- Kindle: KNOWN: The handbook for building and unleashing your personal brand in the digital age
- Audible: KNOWN: The handbook for building and unleashing your personal brand in the digital age
- Amazon: The Content Code: Six essential strategies to ignite your content, your marketing, and your business
- Kindle: The Content Code: Six essential strategies to ignite your content, your marketing, and your business
- Audible: The Content Code: Six essential strategies to ignite your content, your marketing, and your business
- Ep #55: How to Stand Out as a Thought Leader with Dorie Clark on The Brainfluence Podcast
- Rand Fishkin
- Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance by Angela Duckworth
Share the Love:
If you like The Brainfluence Podcast…
- Never miss an episode by subscribing via iTunes, Stitcher or by RSS
- Help improve the show by leaving a Rating & Review in iTunes (Here’s How)
- Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below
Full Episode Transcript: