Email has become a seemingly inescapable feature of our modern lives – but it doesn’t have to be overwhelming or time-consuming. In this interview, author Jocelyn Glei shares some great email-busting tips from her new book Unsubscribe: How to Kill Email Anxiety, Avoid Distractions, and Get Real Work Done.
Jocelyn Glei is a writer who works to uncover the creativity and meaning inherent in our everyday work. Her past books, Manage Your Day-to-Day, Maximize Your Potential, and Make Your Mark, seek creative solutions to the distraction and productivity-worship present in our ever-busier work lives.
Jocelyn begins by talking about the psychology and neurochemistry of email and the two things that make it particularly addictive: random rewards and completion bias. We discuss the oft-repeated virtues of “inbox zero” and why this mantra might actually make email more stressful. Jocelyn also shares some of her best tips for cutting down on time spent writing emails (templates are a huge tool for her), and how relegating your email to a separate space or screen can improve your focus. She even leaves us with some advice about how to make your outgoing emails stand out amongst the clutter of your recipient’s inbox.
Email is an integral part of work for many of us, and Jocelyn’s tips will allow you to make a noticeable, immediate impact on your inbox.
If you enjoy the show, please drop by iTunes and leave a review while you are still feeling the love! Reviews help others discover this podcast and I greatly appreciate them!
On Today’s Episode We’ll Learn:
- How email hijacks our brains, making us a little bit crazy and often unproductive.
- Why “inbox zero” is not the only ideal or realistic standard for your email.
- The “email audit”, and how it can help you cut down on unnecessary noise in your inbox.
- How the idea of reciprocity makes us feel compelled to respond to emails, even if they should be low on our priority list.
- The negativity bias of email and how to combat it to keep e-interactions positive.
- Advice and apps that can help you manage email, build templates, and reduce the time spent in your inbox.
Key Resources for Jocelyn Glei and Winning at Email:
- Connect with Jocelyn: Website | Twitter
- Amazon: Unsubscribe: How to Kill Email Anxiety, Avoid Distractions, and Get Real Work Done
- Kindle: Unsubscribe: How to Kill Email Anxiety, Avoid Distractions, and Get Real Work Done
- Audible: Unsubscribe: How to Kill Email Anxiety, Avoid Distractions, and Get Real Work Done
- Tristan Harris of Time Well Spent
- Inbox Zero: Google Tech Talk from Merlin Mann (the beginning of “inbox zero”)
- The Email Game
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey
- Daniel Goleman – Emotional Intelligence
- “Give and Take: How the Rule of Reciprocation Binds Us” from NPR, on Philip Kunz’ 1974 study
- Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert Cialdini
Share the Love:
If you like The Brainfluence Podcast…
- Never miss an episode by subscribing via iTunes, Stitcher or by RSS
- Help improve the show by leaving a Rating & Review in iTunes (Here’s How)
- Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below
Full Episode Transcript: