Change is one of the few things you can rely on in life, in the personal, technological, and business realms alike. Today’s guest, Dave Gray, explores how we can intentionally harness change in his new book Liminal Thinking: Create the Change You Want by Changing the Way You Think, using quirky, engaging illustrations to help him explain the concept of liminality.
Dave Gray is an author, consultant, and former news illustrator. He’s spent his life asking questions and drawing pictures of the answers, helping to explain concepts in an accessible and creative medium. In 1993 he founded XPLANE, the visual thinking company, to bring his explanatory powers to the business world.
We start off discussing Dave’s first career as a news illustrator and why drawings can be such an effective teaching tool. Dave also explains the concept of liminal thinking that he explores in his new book, including how you can intentionally create liminal phases in your life to spur change. Dave and I also relate liminality and illustration to the business sector, and talk about why managers are often the obstacle to turning around failing companies.
Dave’s explanation of liminal thinking is a fascinating one, and will leave you wondering how you can apply the concept to your own life and work.
If you enjoy the show, please drop by iTunes and leave a review while you are still feeling the love! Reviews help others discover this podcast and I greatly appreciate them!
On Today’s Episode We’ll Learn:
- How Dave originally combined his love of news and inquiry with drawing to create a unique skillset.
- What defines a liminal space or time, and how the US is in one now.
- Why people hold on to untrue beliefs or blame external forces for their circumstances.
- A powerful conflict resolution exercise requiring opposing sides of a debate to adopt each other’s perspective.
- How liminal periods can help us examine our existing beliefs and change them.
Key Resources for Dave Gray and Liminal Thinking:
- Connect with Dave: Website | XPLANE | Liminal Thinking | Twitter
- Amazon: Liminal Thinking: Create the Change You Want by Changing the Way You Think
- Kindle: Liminal Thinking: Create the Change You Want by Changing the Way You Think
- Audio CD: Liminal Thinking: Create the Change You Want by Changing the Way You Think
- Amazon: Gamestorming: A Playbook for Innovators, Rulebreakers, and Changemakers
- Kindle: Gamestorming: A Playbook for Innovators, Rulebreakers, and Changemakers
- Ep #36: Psychology Goes Prime Time with Dan Pink on The Brainfluence Podcast
- Ep #129: Draw to Win with Dan Roam on The Brainfluence Podcast
- Mick Calder – The 333 Group
- Andrew Grove – Intel
Share the Love:
If you like The Brainfluence Podcast…
- Never miss an episode by subscribing via iTunes, Stitcher or by RSS
- Help improve the show by leaving a Rating & Review in iTunes (Here’s How)
- Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below
Full Episode Transcript: