Whatever you’re pitching, selling, or promoting, it’s not about what you’re offering — it’s about what you say before you offer it. Sound too simple? Our guest this week would beg to differ, and he shares the research to back it up in his new book, Pre-Suasion.
On this episode of The Brainfluence Podcast, I’m honored to host the “Godfather of Influence,” Dr. Robert Cialdini. Robert’s seminal book Influence is a foundational, bestselling text about why people say “yes” and how to apply psychology when persuading others.
Thirty years later, Robert is back with a paradigm-shifting idea in the form of his book Pre-Suasion: A Revolutionary Way to Influence and Persuade. In this interview, we talk about some of the key lessons from his upcoming book, and how you can apply them immediately to step up your persuasion game.
Robert recalls how he himself has been pre-suaded, how he has learned to leverage this tactic in the classroom to engage students, and how researchers have studied the phenomenon in other people.
We also talk about the role of persuasion in marketing specifically, and why priming your audience is such an effective and influential technique. To wrap up, Robert discusses some of the most exciting research he has recently encountered concerning the idea of pre-suasion.
Dr. Robert Cialdini has built a career upon illuminating the science of influence. His foundational book Influence has sold over 3 million copies, is a New York Times Bestseller, and has been published in more than 30 languages.
Dr. Cialdini received his Ph.D from the University of North Carolina and post-doctoral training from Columbia University. He has held Visiting Scholar Appointments at numerous acclaimed universities since then and is currently Regents’ Professor Emeritus of Psychology and Marketing at Arizona State University.
He is also the CEO and President of Influence At Work, a company focused on ethical influence training, corporate keynote programs, and the CMCT (Cialdini Method Certified Trainer) program. Dr. Cialdini and Influence At Work have worked with Google, Microsoft, Coca-Cola, and countless other public, private, and government organizations.
Robert is an unparalleled resource on the topic of influence; don’t miss your chance to hear some of Pre-suasion‘s best information.
If you enjoy the show, please drop by iTunes and leave a review while you are still feeling the love! Reviews help others discover this podcast and I greatly appreciate them!
On Today’s Episode We’ll Learn:
- How favors are perceived differently by recipients and givers, and how to leverage this information.
- Why we should rethink the “hero’s journey” storytelling technique to persuade more effectively.
- How our language shapes our own actions and the actions of those around us.
- The question every single marketer with a website should ask themselves.
- How to get people to pay attention to the details of a complex message.
Key Resources for Robert Cialdini:
- Connect with Robert: Influence At Work
- Amazon: Pre-Suasion: A Revolutionary Way to Influence and Persuade
- Kindle: Pre-Suasion: A Revolutionary Way to Influence and Persuade
- Audible: Pre-Suasion: A Revolutionary Way to Influence and Persuade
- Amazon: Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion, Revised Edition
- Amazon: The small BIG: small changes that spark big influence
- Amazon: Yes!: 50 Scientifically Proven Ways to Be Persuasive
- H-E-B: Texas Grocery Stores
- Paul Harvey
- Don’t mess with Texas Campaign
- Auguste Rodin’s Sculpture: ‘The Thinker’
Share the Love:
If you like The Brainfluence Podcast…
- Never miss an episode by subscribing via iTunes, Stitcher or by RSS
- Help improve the show by Leaving a Rating & Review in iTunes (Here’s How)
- Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below
Full Episode Transcript: