You’re probably familiar with the thrill of stepping outside your comfort zone and meeting success; perhaps in business, a tricky conversation with a loved one, or speaking in front of a crowd. But you’re probably even more familiar with staying firmly planted in that comfort zone, avoiding the discomfort and risk that come along with stretching your capabilities.
Today we’re sitting down with Andy Molinsky to talk about his new book Reach: A New Strategy to Help You Step Outside Your Comfort Zone. Andy has conducted research on entrepreneurs, doctors, salespeople, and countless others to examine how we both construct and break out of our comfort zones.
Andy begins by talking about why so many people find traditional networking to be uncomfortable or downright off-putting. He also discusses the five categories of comfort zones he’s identified through his research, including procrastination. We also talk about beating impostor syndrome and knowing how to follow your own moral compass.
Andy Molinsky is a Professor of Organizational Behavior at Brandeis University’s International Business School, specializing in behavior change and cross-cultural interaction in business settings. He has degrees from Brown, Columbia, and Harvard, and writes for the Harvard Business Review regularly.
Andy has surveyed people from all walks of life about comfort zones and how to break free of them – so listen in and draw on their techniques to reach your goals this upcoming year.
If you enjoy the show, please drop by iTunes and leave a review while you are still feeling the love! Reviews help others discover this podcast and I greatly appreciate them!
On Today’s Episode We’ll Learn:
- Why many of us find networking to be so painfully awkward, and how to reframe the experience so it’s more positive.
- Suggestions for beating impostor syndrome.
- Why it’s important to discern if you’re avoiding something because it makes you uncomfortable, or if it’s because you have no interest in it.
- How to do “psychological accounting” of the tasks you may be avoiding and determine why you’re doing so.
- Andy’s advice for pushing your limits in the new year.
Key Resources for Andy Molinsky:
- Connect with Andy: Website | Twitter
- Amazon: Reach: A New Strategy to Help You Step Outside Your Comfort Zone
- Kindle: Reach: A New Strategy to Help You Step Outside Your Comfort Zone
- Amazon: Global Dexterity
- Kindle: Global Dexterity
- Natalie Portman‘s Harvard Commencement Speech
- Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert Cialdini
Share the Love:
If you like The Brainfluence Podcast…
- Never miss an episode by subscribing via iTunes, Stitcher or by RSS
- Help improve the show by leaving a Rating & Review in iTunes (Here’s How)
- Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below
Full Episode Transcript: