Gary Hoover is a rare combination of a business scholar and practitioner. He founded both the first book superstore chain, Bookstop—later purchased by Barnes & Noble—and one of the world’s leading company information websites, Hoovers.com, which is now owned by Dun & Bradstreet. In 2009, Gary became the first Entrepreneur-in-Residence at the highly ranked McCombs Business School of the University of Texas at Austin, a role he now serves in the same University’s graduate School of Information.
Gary joins the show today to share what he’s learned along his entrepreneurial journey and from working as an instructor and mentor for the last ten years, as well as how he is able to digest a book’s contents in 15 – 30 minutes. Listen in to learn his process for grasping the essence of a book in the most efficient way possible, hear some of his top reading picks, and gain insights from his book, The Lifetime Learner’s Guide to Reading and Learning.
Learn how to grasp the essence of a book in the most efficient way possible with @garyhoov, author of THE LIFETIME LEARNER'S GUIDE TO READING AND LEARNING. #books #entrepreneurship #reading Click To Tweet
If you enjoy the show, please drop by iTunes and leave a review while you are feeling the love! Reviews help others discover this podcast and I greatly appreciate them!
On Today’s Episode We’ll Learn:
- Gary’s technique for digesting a book’s contents in 15 – 30 minutes.
- Why he doesn’t read sequentially.
- What made him start reading in his unique way
- The reason he can’t read books on a Kindle or other device.
- What Gary does to ensure he retains information.
- Which style of note-taking will help you recall more efficiently.
- How Gary got into the book superstore business and business information.
- What he has learned from working as an instructor and mentor for the last ten years.
- His opinion on book summary services
- Books he would recommend from his 57,000-book personal reference library.
Key Resources for Gary Hoover:
- Connect with Gary Hoover: Website | LinkedIn | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
- Amazon: The Lifetime Learner’s Guide to Reading and Learning
- Kindle: The Lifetime Learner’s Guide to Reading and Learning
- How I digest a book in 15-30 minutes
- Gary’s Entrepreneurial Course
- Amazon: Universal Principles of Design
- Amazon: Enlightenment Now
- Amazon: Factfulness
- Amazon: They Made America
- Amazon: The Visible Hand
Share the Love:
If you like The Brainfluence Podcast…
- Never miss an episode by subscribing via iTunes, Stitcher or by RSS
- Help improve the show by leaving a Rating & Review in iTunes (Here’s How)
- Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below