When it comes to writing a book that sells year after year, Ryan Holiday definitely knows the formula. His books have all been best-sellers, and more importantly, they have continued to sell well long after their issue dates. In this episode, he discusses the principles for crafting a longstanding work, whether it’s a book, a product, or even a restaurant. These insights come from his newest book, Perennial Seller: The Art of Marketing Work that Lasts.
Ryan Holiday is an author and media strategist. He served as the director of marketing for American Apparel and his current company, Brass Check, advises clients like Google, TASER, and Complex.
Ryan shares what draws a sharp distinction between the two kinds of bestsellers: some books keep selling for years and years, while others sell very well initially but dwindle over time. He emphasizes that when you are creating a book, you need to be thinking about both the content and marketing that will make the book last. Finding the perfect balance between content that adds long-lasting value and strategic marketing is crucial.
We also get some really valuable advice from Ryan on how to work well with an editor to make sure the book fulfills your vision. He shares some of his favorite marketing tools and which facets of marketing he focuses on and why.
*Original air date: Aug 3, 2017.*
If you enjoy the show, please drop by iTunes and leave a review while you are still feeling the love! Reviews help others discover this podcast and I greatly appreciate them!
On Today’s Episode We’ll Learn:
- What makes a book remain valuable over time.
- The significant roles title creation and book launch play in the longevity of a book.
- What is the Lindy effect and how can you use it to gauge the success of your book.
- How to keep your book from becoming dated too soon.
- Why it’s important to know when to trust your editor and when to push back to defend your ideas and vision.
- What types of advertising are the most effective and reach the most people.
Key Resources for Ryan Holiday and Be Like Amazon:
- Connect with Ryan Holiday: Website | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram
- Amazon: Perennial Seller: The Art of Making and Marketing Work that Lasts
- Kindle: Perennial Seller: The Art of Making and Marketing Work that Lasts
- Audible: Perennial Seller: The Art of Making and Marketing Work that Lasts
- Amazon: The Obstacle Is the Way
- Amazon: Ego Is the Enemy
- Amazon: Trust Me, I’m Lying: Confessions of a Media Manipulator
- The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene
- Malcolm Gladwell
- Give and Take by Adam Grant
Share the Love:
If you like The Brainfluence Podcast…
- Never miss an episode by subscribing via iTunes, Stitcher or by RSS
- Help improve the show by leaving a Rating & Review in iTunes (Here’s How)
- Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below
Full Episode Transcript: