What is “conation?” According to seasoned marketing and strategy leader Sandeep Dayal, conation is incredibly important in the marketing world. It refers to the desire or will of people to perform an action – it helps marketers assess what causes a customer to opt-in or out of a buying decision.
Sandeep Dayal joins Brainfluence to explain purchase decisions, brand identity, brand positioning, customer-centricity, and customer experience for brands that want to find and sell to their audiences ethically. He breaks down the process of a customer’s buying decision, the three factors that affect the designing of empathetic brands, and the three principles of self-regulation for marketers, among other things.
Recognition of the need to optimize customer experience continues to grow. As Sandeep explains, the better a customer’s mind is familiar with your brand’s offerings, the better the chances are they would buy from you. Make an effort to get to know your customer – understand their pain points, questions, and concerns, and align your marketing strategy to find them the answers to their most persistent questions.If you do the things in the way that the brain is used to, you can make lasting customer connections, says @SandeepDayal #branding #customerexperience Click To Tweet
Key Highlights – Sandeep Dayal
- [01:07] “Conation” and what it means in the marketing context – conation refers to the innate tendency of human beings to feel inclined to do something. In the marketing context, it refers to what causes people to opt-in or out of making a purchase after all the sales and marketing has convinced them about the product or service.
- [03:30] The 3 factors that affect the designing of empathetic brands:
- [04:32] Brand Vibes
- [04:56] Brand Sense
- [05:27] Brand Resolve
- [07:48] What motivates people to take action: enhancing their identity or expanding their social relationships?
- [12:37] What happens when you over-emotionalize negative things in your marketing: People focus on that emotional story, forcing your brand to the sideline.
- [20:23] The more experiences you give your brain about something, the better it remembers that thing. That is why visualization is important in branding and marketing. Consider every aspect of customer experience, including smell, touch, and sight, and cover all aspects of your product or service so that it gets embedded in your customer’s mind.
- [23:15] Marketers today have the unfortunate opportunity to subconsciously influence people to buy something that is not in their interests. Sandeep explains that this amounts to fraud. Marketers should focus on providing value to their consumers – take responsibility, and act ethically.
- [24:51] 3 simple self-regulation rules for marketers by Sandeep: 1) The canonical principle (Don’t do what you wouldn’t want others to do to you), 2) From Immanuel Kant’s philosophy of categorical imperative (Don’t do something, which, if everyone else started doing would be a bad thing from support society), 3) Don’t do something that would embarrass you if it was published on the first page of the New York Times.
Sandeep Dayal Quotes
“We cannot force the brain to work in a way that it’s not supposed to.”
“It’s about either enhancing your own identity, or expanding your social relationships – when you do those two things, it is something that naturally, as humans, motivates us to take action – so brands can do a good job. ”
“If you over-emotionalize things, particularly with negative emotions… then people tend to focus on that emotional story. And your brand becomes something of a sideline.”
“If you do the things in the way that the brain is used to… you can make lasting customer connections.”
About Sandeep Dayal
Sandeep Dayal is a marketing thought leader and the Managing Director and EVP at Cerenti Marketing Group, LLC. He is also an author – his new book Branding Between the Ears: Using Cognitive Science to Build Lasting Consumer Connections talks about leveraging behavioral psychology, social anthropology, and neuroscience to decode what goes on in consumer minds and create effective marketing strategies that build brand loyalty.
Sandeep Dayal Resources
Amazon: Branding Between the Ears
Share the Love:
If you like Brainfluence…
- Never miss an episode by subscribing via iTunes, Stitcher or by RSS
- Help improve the show by leaving a Rating & Review in iTunes (Here’s How)
- Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below
Full Sandeep Dayal Transcript: