Businesses today face the challenge of balancing their core values with the realities of the digital age — an age that has customers expect 24/7 access to brands. Surprisingly, the brands that put their customers first have survived even the worst phases of the pandemic, according to best-selling author and returning guest on Brainfluence, John Jantsch.
John advocates customer-centric marketing and brings us lessons from his most recent book, The Ultimate Marketing Engine: 5 Steps to Ridiculously Consistent Growth. He talks about the importance of focusing less on generating “more” leads. Rather, you should enhance the buying experience of your existing customers to generate organic referrals and leads. He explains how strategically (and authentically) partnering with your top 20% customers does your business more good than investing in lead generation. John also reveals his 5-step marketing process that helps discover and map businesses to their ideal customers.
Consistent business growth in today’s times depends almost entirely on the quality of customer experience offered. Improve it and your customers will take your business to the next level before you know it. Tune in to the conversation to learn more!Want growth? Focus LESS on #LeadGen, and more on #Customer Experience, says @ducttape, a.k.a. John Jantsch Click To Tweet
Key Highlights – John Jantsch
- [01:37] What the pandemic taught us about customer-centric business: Those businesses that put customer experience first were also supported by their customers during the pandemic.
- [05:03] The pandemic has seen businesses become more humane and kind.
- [07:16] A common business mistake is focusing on increasing leads and customers instead of enhancing the experience of existing customers. John explains that we must invest our attention in the top 20% of our customers – because they are the ones helping your business through the most referrals, purchases, or work.
- [12:30] Referral generation – Create a strategic partner network with your clients. Choose to go the extra mile to help your clients. It goes a long way in helping your business grow. You could get more referrals from your clients without even asking for it.
- [15:39] John’s 5-step process for marketing success:
- [15:50] Map where your customers are.
- [15:57] Uncover the real problems you solve for your ideal customers.
- [16:11] Narrow your focus to the top 20% of your ideal clients to figure out how to grow with them.
- [16:22] Attract more ideal clients.
- [16:35] Research and find out examples from the real world. Find examples of businesses that failed to grow because of a lack of good marketing, despite their brand identity and quality products.
- [20:17] Marketing as a system: Give importance to customer experience. Try to map out every stage of their journey. Value their questions, goals, requirements, and concerns. Start building systems so that your marketing isn’t hypothetical but structured.
- [23:44] Make it a habit to talk to your customers (say, quarterly) – Ask about what they’re getting and not getting, think about how to scale with them effectively, and find out what you can do to help them in their journey.
John Jantsch Quotes
“In tough times, you really see businesses that thrive and survive because they’re meaningful in the lives of their customers.”
“Figure out who your most profitable customers are. Maybe they’re the ones that are referring business to you today. And, sit down and talk to them – make it a habit, quarterly or maybe even more often, to start talking not just about how you’re doing or what you could do for them, but… what else are they not getting? How could you think about scaling with them? How could you think in terms of growing with them?”
“Choose a target market that you can serve very well, and keep serving that kind of client.”
“My biggest advice is get closer and closer to your ideal customer.”
About John Jantsch
John Jantsch is a renowned marketing consultant, speaker, and Founder of Duct Tape Marketing, a firm that teaches marketing to small business owners and consultants. He is the best-selling author of Duct Tape Marketing, Duct Tape Selling, The Commitment Engine, The Referral Engine, and SEO for Growth. John is also the creator of the Duct Tape Marketing Consulting Network, an organization that trains and licenses small business marketing consultants worldwide.
John Jantsch Resources
Amazon: The Ultimate Marketing Engine by John Jantsch
Find John on LinkedIn
Find John on Instagram
Find John on Twitter
Share the Love:
If you like Brainfluence…
- Never miss an episode by subscribing via iTunes, Stitcher or by RSS
- Help improve the show by leaving a Rating & Review in iTunes (Here’s How)
- Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below
Full John Jantsch Transcript: