Many of us think of creativity as an isolated incident – a flash of brilliance that inspires a bold painting or a perfect business decision. In fact, research increasingly finds that discipline is key to fostering creativity. Erik Wahl, entrepreneur and graffiti artist, joins us today to talk about his book The Spark and the Grind: Ignite the Power of Disciplined Creativity, and how order can help you come up with some of your best ideas.
Erik Wahl is an artist, author, and entrepreneur. He is an internationally-recognized, thought-provoking graffiti artist and one of the most sought-after speakers on the corporate lecture circuit. He’s also the author of several books on boosting the creative process.
Erik begins by sharing his love of art and the core mission of his book – to dispel the idea that creativity is a fleeting, singular moment rather than a daily practice. We talk about the coexistence of strict routine and freedom of mind, and how artists and successful businesses alike apply these principles to their work. Erik also shares his thoughts on why it’s okay to keep a day job to protect your ability to create without commoditizing your work.
This is fascinating take on creativity, and Erik’s energy will make you excited to nurture those projects or ideas you might have been putting off.
If you enjoy the show, please drop by iTunes and leave a review while you are still feeling the love! Reviews help others discover this podcast and I greatly appreciate them!
On Today’s Episode We’ll Learn:
- Erik’s method of fascinating and intriguing his audiences.
- Why Erik believes it’s so important to accept disruption of the status quo as the “new normal”.
- How structure can help breed creativity in art, business, and other areas of thought.
- Why the combination of creativity and logic is more potent today than either of them wielded separately.
- The growing importance of emotional intelligence when trying to engage an audience.
- What internal barometers Erik uses to measure his success, and why he prefers this to external acclaim.
Key Resources for Erik Wahl and Sparking Creativity:
- Connect with Erik: Website | Twitter | Facebook
- Amazon: The Spark and the Grind: Ignite the Power of Disciplined Creativity
- Kindle: The Spark and the Grind: Ignite the Power of Disciplined Creativity
- Amazon: Unthink: Rediscover Your Creative Genius
- Kindle: Unthink: Rediscover Your Creative Genius
- Shepard Fairey
- Jeff Bezos
- Sergey Brin
- The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron
- Ernest Hemingway
- The 10% Entrepreneur: Live Your Startup Dream Without Quitting Your Day Job by Patrick McGinnis
- The Unexpectedly Smart Way to Become an Entrepreneur with Patrick McGinnis on The Brainfluence Podcast
- Creativity Surprise: What’s Really Blocking Great Ideas with Jennifer Mueller on The Brainfluence Podcast
Share the Love:
If you like The Brainfluence Podcast…
- Never miss an episode by subscribing via iTunes, Stitcher or by RSS
- Help improve the show by leaving a Rating & Review in iTunes (Here’s How)
- Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below
Full Episode Transcript: