One Minute Mentoring with Ken Blanchard
Mentorship is experiencing a renaissance, with programs popping up within corporate cultures around the globe. Today’s guest has been on both sides of the mentoring relationship with some brilliant business minds, and now he’s sharing how mentorship has shaped his career and his life.
Ken Blanchard is the most prolific author we’ve had on the show, and he’s showing no signs of stopping. His new book, co-authored with Claire Diaz-Ortiz, is One Minute Mentoring: How to Find and Work with a Mentor — And Why You’ll Benefit from Being One.
Ken Blanchard has co-authored 60 books – translated into 40 languages – and sold more than twenty million copies. He is cofounder and Chief Spiritual Officer of The Ken Blanchard Companies, an international management training and consulting firm that he founded with his wife Margie Blanchard.
In this interview, Ken and I talk about his longtime writing career and how he writes books that stand the test of time. We discuss the typical business-book format and voice, and why he and co-authors have decided to buck that trend. Ken also shares his tips for finding a mentor and why he’s a big fan of cross-generational mentorship.
If you enjoy the show, please drop by iTunes and leave a review while you are still feeling the love! Reviews help others discover this podcast and I greatly appreciate them!
On Today’s Episode We’ll Learn:
- Ken’s tips for writing bestselling books.
- Why Ken decided to co-write a book about mentoring.
- How mentoring can be effective even if it’s not a long-term relationship.
- Ken’s MENTOR acronym for great relationships: Mission, Engagement, Network, Trust, Opportunities, and Review & Renew.
- How to find a mentor and how mentoring is often used in a corporate environment.
- Whether people tend to start mentoring as they get older and the benefits of cross-generational mentorship.
Key Resources for Ken Blanchard and Mentoring:
- Connect with Ken: Website | Twitter
- Amazon: One Minute Mentoring: How to Find and Work with a Mentor — And Why You’ll Benefit from Being One
- Kindle: One Minute Mentoring
- Audible: One Minute Mentoring
- Amazon: The New One Minute Manager
- Amazon: The Servant Leader
- Amazon: Raving Fans
- Amazon: Gung Ho
- Who Moved My Cheese? An A-Mazing Way to Deal with Change in Your Work and in Your Life by Spencer Johnson
- The Go-Giver: A Little Story About a Powerful Business Idea by Bob Burg
- The One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey by Ken Blanchard, William Oncken Jr., and Hal Burrows
- Leadership and the One Minute Manager by Ken Blanchard, Patricia Zigarmi, and Drea Zigarmi
- S. Truett Cathy
- The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable by Patrick Lencioni
- The Greatest Salesman in the World by Og Mandino
- Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach
- Twitter for Good: Change the World One Tweet at a Time by Claire Diaz-Ortiz
- The Power of Positive Thinking: 10 Traits for Maximum Results by Dr. Norman Vincent Peale
- Young Presidents Organization
Share the Love:
If you like The Brainfluence Podcast…
- Never miss an episode by subscribing via iTunes, Stitcher or by RSS
- Help improve the show by leaving a Rating & Review in iTunes (Here’s How)
- Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below