Do you ever feel like you’re not communicating as effectively as you’d like? Though we all know communication is an important and necessary part of life, the truth is– it doesn’t always come easily. Thankfully, there are tactics we can use to improve how we relate to others, as well as how others relate to and perceive us. Here today to explain more about that is Alan Alda.
An internationally recognized actor, writer, and director, Alan has won seven Emmy Awards, received three Tony nominations, and earned an Academy Award nomination. He is also an active member of the science community, having hosted the award-winning series Scientific American Frontiers for eleven years and founded the Alan Alda Center for Communicating Science at Stony Brook University.
Already the author of two bestselling books, Never Have Your Dog Stuffed: And Other Things I’ve Learned and Things I Overheard While Talking To Myself, Alan recently released his third book, entitled If I Understood You, Would I Have This Look on My Face? My Adventures in the Art and Science of Relating and Communicating. Tune into today’s episode to hear takeaways from his newest book, as well as his advice for improving your communication.
If you enjoy the show, please drop by iTunes and leave a review while you are feeling the love! Reviews help others discover this podcast and I greatly appreciate them!
On Today’s Episode We’ll Learn:
- How to make people perceive you as interesting.
- What smart marketers focus on in their ads.
- Advice for conducting interviews.
- One thing Alan thinks can help all of us improve our communication and better connect with others.
- The most effective way of persuading someone.
- What “dark empathy” is and how it can be used against us.
- Tips for communicating well with a large audience.
Key Resources for Alan Alda:
- Connect with Alan Alda: Website| Twitter
- Alda Communication Training
- Amazon: If I Understood You, Would I Have This Look on My Face? My Adventures in the Art and Science of Relating and Communicating
- Ebook: If I Understood You, Would I Have This Look on My Face? My Adventures in the Art and Science of Relating and Communicating
- Audible: If I Understood You, Would I Have This Look on My Face? My Adventures in the Art and Science of Relating and Communicating
- Amazon: Never Have Your Dog Stuffed: And Other Things I’ve Learned
- Amazon: Things I Overheard While Talking To Myself
Share the Love:
If you like The Brainfluence Podcast…
- Never miss an episode by subscribing via iTunes, Stitcher or by RSS
- Help improve the show by leaving a Rating & Review in iTunes (Here’s How)
- Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below
Full Episode Transcript: