More often than not, the eight-hour workday feels like a mildly productive slog. Some people work more quickly and efficiently than others, yet everybody is held to the same clock-in, clock-out schedule. So how can working less actually boost productivity, creativity, and success across the board?
Stephan Aarstol of Tower Paddle Boards is also the author of The Five-Hour Workday: Live Differently, Unlock Productivity, and Find Happiness. After experimenting with shorter working hours last summer, Tower’s performance improved so much that the company’s five-hour day is now an integral part of its design.
Stephan and I cover a lot of ground in this interview: his appearance on Shark Tank, why the United States has some of the lowest happiness levels of industrialized countries, and how Tower has evolved into a beach-lifestyle brand are just a few of the highlights. The Five-Hour Workday challenges the stagnant workweek to catch up with the technological advances of the last few decades. Stephan has built Tower into a riotous success, all while leaving more time for happiness, hobbies, and fun in his life.
Stephan Aarstol is the CEO and founder of Tower Paddle Boards, an online stand up paddle boarding brand. You may remember Stephan from ABC’s Shark Tank, where he secured an investment from Mark Cuban. While Tower began as a disruptive, direct-to-consumer stand up paddle board company, it has evolved into a holistic beach-lifestyle company.
With a three-year growth rate of 1,853 percent, Tower was named the Fastest Growing Company in San Diego by the San Diego Business Journal, and was featured in the Inc.’s 2015 500 List of America’s Fastest Growing Companies. Tower’s success has yielded additional beach-lifestyle products, a travel and lifestyle magazine, and another episode of Shark Tank — this time about how Tower has become one of Mark Cuban’s best-performing investments from the show.
Stephan’s insights on entrepreneurship, online marketing, and productive business models have turned him into a highly sought-after thought leader in his industry. His work has been published in the Washington Post, Inc., Forbes, Entrepreneur, Fast Company, Mashable, and many other prominent business publications.
Stephan believes that many more of us can be free from the outdated eight-hour workday. Tune in to hear how, and pick up even more of his wisdom along the way!
If you enjoy the show, please drop by iTunes and leave a review while you are still feeling the love! Reviews help others discover this podcast and I greatly appreciate them!
On Today’s Episode We’ll Learn:
- How you can shape your business around a shorter workday and become even more successful.
- How the five-hour workday model can work for jobs outside the knowledge-industry, like customer service and manufacturing.
- Why time constraints are essential for productivity.
- How to make your business more efficient despite spending less time at the office.
- Where you can find Stephan’s free collection of productivity hacks, which have helped Tower grow exponentially.
- Connect with Stephan: Tower Paddleboards | The Five Hour Workday | Twitter | Facebook
- Amazon: The Five-Hour Workday: Live Differently, Unlock Productivity, and Find Happiness by Stephan Aastol
- Kindle: The Five-Hour Workday: Live Differently, Unlock Productivity, and Find Happiness by Stephan Aastol
- Tower Lifestyle Magazine
- ABC’s Shark Tank
- Inc.’s 2015 List of the Fastest Growing Companies in America
Share the Love:
If you like The Brainfluence Podcast…
- Never miss an episode by subscribing via iTunes, Stitcher or by RSS
- Help improve the show by Leaving a Rating & Review in iTunes (Here’s How)
- Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below
Full Episode Transcript: