Some online shopping experiences are a breeze — everything is right at the online shopper’s fingertips, easy to navigate, and efficient to boot. Others, not so much. Oftentimes, there are only small differences that separate mediocre eCommerce retailers from the best of the best.
The work of today’s guest, Dr. Jennie Wong of Shopping Quizzes, sits right in the sweet-spot for listeners of this show. Her new book 7 Ways to Hack the Mind of the Online Shopper is a short-but-powerful read that combines psychology, marketing, and persuasion science to make your eCommerce presence as good as it can be.
Jennie shares how to make your pitch really resonate with your customer, why instant gratification is crucial to making customers happy, and some of her favorite question-asking techniques. We also discuss some more technical terms, like commitment inconsistency and processing fluency, so our listeners with a background in psychology will especially dig this episode. Even if these terms are new to you, Jennie breaks them down into easy-to-apply concepts for your business.
Jennie Wong, Ph.D. earned her doctorate from the University of Southern California at the age of 22. Dr. Wong is CEO and co-founder of Shopping Quizzes, the world’s leading provider of interactive product recommendations for eCommerce. She is also the author of 7 Ways to Hack the Mind of the Online Shopper. Dr. Wong is also an award-winning entrepreneur and sought-after speaker on consumer psychology and startups.
Jennie knows how to pack a lot of information into engaging yet manageable pieces — so tune in and see how you can enhance your store’s online presence.
If you enjoy the show, please drop by iTunes and leave a review while you are still feeling the love! Reviews help others discover this podcast and I greatly appreciate them!
On Today’s Episode We’ll Learn:
- The components of what Jennie deems the “art of asking questions.”
- Why other retailers aren’t your true competition for customers’ attention.
- How to improve processing fluency on your site and help your customers make quicker decisions.
- Why understanding psychology and attention is even more crucial when designing pages for mobile devices.
- Common mistakes that even popular eCommerce websites make, and how to avoid them.
Key Resources for Jennie Wong:
- Connect with Jennie: Shopping Quizzes | Twitter | LinkedIn
- Amazon: 7 Ways to Hack the Mind of the Online Shopper
- Kindle: 7 Ways to Hack the Mind of the Online Shopper
- Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert Cialdini
- Ask Method by Ryan Levesque
- Brainfluence: 100 Ways to Persuade and Convince Consumers with Neuromarketing by Roger Dooley
Share the Love:
If you like The Brainfluence Podcast…
- Never miss an episode by subscribing via iTunes, Stitcher or by RSS
- Help improve the show by Leaving a Rating & Review in iTunes (Here’s How)
- Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below
Full Episode Transcript: