Dr. Adam Gazzaley is a renowned neurologist and pioneer of new technologies based on his research. Now he’s bringing his expertise to the rest of us with his new book The Distracted Mind: Ancient Brains in a High-Tech World.
Adam and I cover a wide variety of topics, from his development of therapeutic video games to the impact of multitasking on our cognitive abilities. We also talk about how technology has interrupted the functioning of our brains and how we can use techniques like meditation to reclaim focus.
It’s hard to follow the practical aspects of neuroscience research without encountering the work of Adam Gazzaley.
Dr. Gazzaley is the founding director of the Neuroscience Imaging Center at the University of California San Francisco, an Associate Professor of Neurology, Physiology and Psychiatry, and Director of the Gazzaley Lab, a cognitive neuroscience laboratory that studies neural mechanisms of perception, attention and memory.
He’s co-founded a therapeutic video game company and a venture capital firm focused on a scientific approach to improving human performance, all while having authored over 100 scientific papers.
Adam’s expertise in this field is unparalleled and incredibly diverse; be sure to tune in!
If you enjoy the show, please drop by iTunes and leave a review while you are still feeling the love! Reviews help others discover this podcast and I greatly appreciate them!
On Today’s Episode We’ll Learn:
- How Adam and his team are shaping videogames into therapeutic tools.
- The different types of multitasking and how they change the way our brains function.
- Why meditation can help us overcome our fractured attention and maintain focus.
- The role of technology (and especially smartphones) in increasing social anxiety.
- Why it’s crucial to have techniques and structures to overcome distraction.
- How Adam is hoping technology can be harnessed to improve the human condition.
New Way to Listen – via YouTube!
Great for Chromecast!
Key Resources for Adam Gazzaley:
- Connect with Adam: Neuroscape | Twitter | Facebook
- Amazon: The Distracted Mind: Ancient Brains in a High-Tech World
- Kindle: The Distracted Mind: Ancient Brains in a High-Tech World
- Audible: The Distracted Mind: Ancient Brains in a High-Tech World
- Tim Ferriss
- Small Data: The Tiny Clues That Uncover Huge Trends by Martin Lindstrom
- The Third Wave by Alvin Toffler
- Ray Kurzweil
- Ep #139: Messy Can Be Be Better Than Tidy with Tim Harford on The Brainfluence Podcast
- Mickey Hart
- Rob Garza
Share the Love:
If you like The Brainfluence Podcast…
- Never miss an episode by subscribing via iTunes, Stitcher or by RSS
- Help improve the show by leaving a Rating & Review in iTunes (Here’s How)
- Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below
Full Episode Transcript: