Joseph LeDoux is an author, professor and a local NYC rockstar as the lead singer and songwriter in the rock band, The Amygdaloids. More conventionally, he is the Henry and Lucy Moses Professor of Science at NYU in the Center for Neural Science, and he directs the Emotional Brain Institute at NYU.
Joe’s work is focused primarily on the brain mechanisms of memory and emotion. His books, The Emotional Brain, Synaptic Self and Anxious: Using the Brain to Understand and Treat Fear and Anxiety, were all written with the lay person in mind to explain just why we react the way we do.
Joe is the master at translating the complex mechanisms of the brain into text and music that anyone can understand. He joins me today to explain his work on how stimuli, such as fear and anxiety, affects both your brain and your body. We dive into the story behind his band, including how they write their songs, his books and just how your amygdala works.
If you enjoy the show, please drop by iTunes and leave a review while you are still feeling the love! Reviews help others discover this podcast, and I greatly appreciate them!
On Today’s Episode We’ll Learn:
- How the brain reacts to a stimulus that induces fear.
- The difference between fear and anxiety.
- How Joe feels that the movie Inside Out depicted emotions incorrectly.
- Whether rats are good proxies for humans in testing fear and anxiety medications.
- Why Joe founded The Amygdaloids.
- Connect with Joe: The LeDoux Lab | Emotional Brain Institute | The Amygdaloids | Facebook | Twitter | Synaptic Self | The Emotional Brain
- Amazon.com: Anxious: Using the Brain to Understand and Treat Fear and Anxiety by Joseph LeDoux
- Kindle Version: Anxious: Using the Brain to Understand and Treat Fear and Anxiety by Joseph LeDoux
- MP3 Album (Music!): Anxious by The Amygdaloids
- Amazon.com: The Emotional Brain: The Mysterious Underpinnings of Emotional Life by Joseph LeDoux
- Kindle Version: The Emotional Brain: The Mysterious Underpinnings of Emotional Life by Joseph LeDoux
- Amazon.com: Synaptic Self: How Our Brains Become Who We Are by Joseph LeDoux
- Kindle Version: Synaptic Self: How Our Brains Become Who We Are by Joseph LeDoux
- Society for Neuroscience
- Disney’s Inside Out
- Elizabeth Phelps
Share the Love:
If you like The Brainfluence Podcast…
Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below