Have you ever tried to reason with an argumentative, emotional child? How about working with multiple groups to find common ground? Negotiating emotional situations can be difficult…unless you have help.
This week, I’m talking to our guest who is known around the world for his work in the field of negotiation and conflict resolution. Dan Shapiro founded and directs the Harvard International Negotiation Program, which focuses on the human dimensions of conflict resolution.
Dan has spent twenty years unraveling the mystery of what causes human conflict. His research has shown that rational approaches rarely work because most disputes hinge upon two non-rational forces: our emotions and identities.
Dan’s new book is Negotiating the Nonnegotiable: How to Resolve Your Most Emotionally Charged Conflicts. I know you’ll love hearing from him because he sounds a lot like a neuromarketer.
His work has been helping leaders, politicians and Fortune 500 company executives to break through the taboos of inter-party communication. If you have ever encountered an emotional situation you haven’t been able to negotiate successfully through, then you need to listen to this episode.
If you enjoy the show, please drop by iTunes and leave a review while you are still feeling the love! Reviews help others discover this podcast and I greatly appreciate them!
On Today’s Episode We’ll Learn:
- Why emotional decisions should not be considered irrational decisions.
- How to have emotionally charged, yet rational, negotiations with your children.
- Freud’s theory on why we cannot ignore the loudest emotions.
- What Dan shows from a simple failed exercise with leaders at the World Economic Forum.
- The key insights of negotiation that you need to know.
- How to break the taboos of political parties to encourage communication.
- Connect with Dan: Dan Shapiro Global | Harvard International Negotiation Program
- World Economic Forum
- Henry Tajfel
- Amazon: Negotiating the Nonnegotiable: How to Resolve Your Most Emotionally Charged Conflicts by Daniel Shapiro
- Kindle Version: Negotiating the Nonnegotiable: How to Resolve Your Most Emotionally Charged Conflicts by Daniel Shapiro
- Amazon: Beyond Reason: Using Emotions as You Negotiate by Daniel Shapiro and Roger Fisher
- See also Chris Voss on Negotiation
Share the Love:
If you like The Brainfluence Podcast…
- Never miss an episode by subscribing via iTunes, Stitcher or by RSS
- Help improve the show by Leaving a Rating & Review in iTunes (Here’s How)
- Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below
Full Episode Transcript: