Chris Voss Negotiation Tactics
Today’s guest is a former hostage negotiator for the FBI. Now you may be wondering what hostage negotiations have to do with you, but the answer is: a lot. Chris Voss has demonstrated that his techniques — which are rooted in brain science — crush the traditional approach to business negotiation, and we can all use his advice for negotiating within our own lives.
Get expert negotiation tips with @VossNegotiation, author of NEVER SPLIT THE DIFFERENCE. #psychology #negotiation Click To Tweet
Chris’ company, The Black Swan Group, specializes in solving business communication problems using hostage negotiation solutions, and he joins the podcast today to share his expertise, as well as insights from his new book, Never Split the Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It. Listen in to learn tricks for negotiating in highly emotional situations, advice for building trust, and more.
If you enjoy the show, please drop by iTunes and leave a review while you are feeling the love! Reviews help others discover this podcast and I greatly appreciate them!
On Today’s Episode We’ll Learn:
- Chris Voss’s top negotiation techniques
- The similarities between hostage negotiations and business negotiations.
- Where traditional business negotiation techniques go wrong.
- How to reword open-ended questions to get unguarded responses.
- What drives 70% of purchase decisions.
- The problem with the concept of reciprocity.
- How to get people out of emotional modes of thinking into more rational modes of thinking.
- Tips for using language to diffuse emotional situations.
- How to use mirroring to create a synaptic connection in someone’s head.
- Why getting a “no” response is a good thing.
- A simple trick for getting an email response.
- Advice for negotiating a raise.
Key Resources for Chris Voss:
- Connect with Chris Voss: Website | LinkedIn | Twitter
- Amazon: Never Split the Difference
- Kindle: Never Split the Difference
- Audible: Never Split the Difference
- Sign up for The Black Swan Group’s Newsletter by texting FBIEmpathy to 22828
- See also Smarter Negotiation with Keld Jensen
- See also Flip the Script in Sales with Oren Klaff
Share the Love:
If you like The Brainfluence Podcast…
- Never miss an episode by subscribing via iTunes, Stitcher or by RSS
- Help improve the show by leaving a Rating & Review in iTunes (Here’s How)
- Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below
Full Episode Transcript: