Eric Barker’s humorous, practical blog, Barking Up the Wrong Tree, presents science-based answers and expert insight on how to be awesome at life. His new book, Barking up the Wrong Tree: The Surprising Science Behind Why Everything You Know About Success Is (Mostly) Wrong, expands on Eric’s blog and breaks down common platitudes about how to be successful in life and business.
Eric is a a screenwriter-turned-blogger and much sought-after speaker and interview subject. He has been invited to speak at MIT, Yale, NPR affiliates, and on morning television.
In this interview, we discuss science-backed life hacks that people can actually use and our shared passion for well-researched productivity and life tips. We also talk about why you see super-generous people at both the top and bottom of the success ladder, and why those who are the top of the class in school aren’t always the most successful in life.
I’m positive that listeners of Brainfluence will feel a camaraderie with Eric and his blog!
If you enjoy the show, please drop by iTunes and leave a review while you are still feeling the love! Reviews help others discover this podcast and I greatly appreciate them!
On Today’s Episode We’ll Learn:
- What the data behind popular claims about success says about their veracity.
- Whether or not it pays to be altruistic or selfish.
- How Eric started his blog and finds life hacks and productivity tips that are actually supported by research.
- The best method for setting and attacking realistic goals.
- Why motivational visualization can actually be self-defeating.
- Tricks of the mind for avoiding bad behaviors and taking advantage of your brain’s natural laziness.
Key Resources for Eric Barker and Science-based Life Hacking:
- Connect with Eric: Barking Up the Wrong Tree Blog
- Amazon: Barking up the Wrong Tree
- Kindle: Barking Up the Wrong Tree
- Audible: Barking Up the Wrong Tree
- Dr. Gabriele Oettingen
- Smart Change: Five Tools to Create New and Sustainable Habits in Yourself and Others by Art Markman PhD
- Richard Wiseman
- Google’s Healthy Food Optimization
- Shawn Achor
- Dan Ariely: Website | Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions
- Nicholas Christakis
- Bob Sutton
- Trust Factor: The Key to High Performance with Paul Zak on The Brainfluence Podcast
- Adam Grant
- Tucker Max: Website | Assholes Finish First
- Karen Arnold
Share the Love:
If you like The Brainfluence Podcast…
- Never miss an episode by subscribing via iTunes, Stitcher or by RSS
- Help improve the show by leaving a Rating & Review in iTunes (Here’s How)
- Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below
Full Episode Transcript: