We all have powerful assets at our disposal that we tend to ignore instead of leverage: our stories. Esther Choy joins us to explain why storytelling is so often overlooked, and why we should be using it more often. She explains why stories are persuasive and memorable, what kind of storytelling works best, and in which situations you can use stories.
Esther is the founder and president of Leadership Story Lab and has a background in business administration, management and college admissions. She teaches the importance of communicating authentically using stories and is the author of the book Let the Story Do the Work: The Art of Storytelling for Business Success. She gives us a clear and simple way to structure our stories and helps us figure out which stories will have more impact and good results.
How to make your stories more persuasive with @estherkchoy https://rgr.cc/2zYY0P6 #storytelling #persuasion Click To Tweet Esther also discusses statistics and data. She explains why these are extremely important in business and how to fit them into your stories properly. Visuals are also a topic that we dive into. Visual content improves recall, and Esther explains what types of images are best for communicating and sticking in someone’s memory.
If you enjoy the show, please drop by iTunes and leave a review while you are feeling the love! Reviews help others discover this podcast and I greatly appreciate them!
On Today’s Episode We’ll Learn:
- The secret to elite college admissions – It’s your story, not your GPA.
- How to not miss important opportunities to tell your story.
- What types of stories to tell – your story doesn’t have to be epic, it has to be intriguing.
- How to structure your stories and earn your ‘right’ to tell it to the listener.
- How to use your data to tell stories.
- How to both provide clarity and encourage curiosity within your story.
- How visuals fit into the storytelling process and boost memorability.
Key Resources for Esther Choy:
- Connect with Esther Choy: Website | Twitter
- Amazon: Let the Story Do the Work: The Art of Story Telling for Business Success by Esther Choy
- Kindle: Let the Story Do the Work: The Art of Story Telling for Business Success by Esther Choy
- Audible: Let the Story Do the Work: The Art of Story Telling for Business Success by Esther Choy
- Guide to Story Club
- Kellogg School of Management
- College Confidential
Share the Love:
If you like The Brainfluence Podcast…
- Never miss an episode by subscribing via iTunes, Stitcher or by RSS
- Help improve the show by leaving a Rating & Review in iTunes (Here’s How)
- Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below
Full Episode Transcript: