In this rare solo episode of the podcast, I’m running through the top 10 science-based headshot hacks you should use. Whether you are choosing a headshot for professional bio pages, your own website, or social media, these tips will help. Scientists have thoroughly analyzed the specific headshot and profile photo factors that will help you project intelligence, trustworthiness, and friendliness. You only get one chance at a first impression, make it count
I’ve gathered ten neuroscience hacks for making your headshot communicate the values you want it to – be that friendliness, trust, or dominance. I cover some key findings from research about pupil size, whether or not people favor one side of your face, and whether or not you should smile in your photo. I also touch on the preconceptions people have of those with alcohol in their profile photos, and why people are judged as being more attractive after they’ve had one drink.
Headshots are a key component of any online profile these days, professional and personal alike. Be sure yours stands up to scrutiny!
If you enjoy the show, please drop by iTunes and leave a review while you are still feeling the love! Reviews help others discover this podcast and I greatly appreciate them!
On Today’s Episode We’ll Learn:
- Why first impressions are so impactful and difficult to change later.
- Whether humans have a preference for one side of the face or the other.
- The effect pupil size and limbal ring thickness have on people’s perceptions of your trustworthiness.
- Why you should avoid having a neutral expression in a headshot.
- How to use the mimicking effect in your photo to get your audience to feel a specific emotion.
Key Resources for Roger Dooley and Hacking Your Headshot:
- Connect with Roger: Website | Neuromarketing Blog
- Amazon: Brainfluence: 100 Ways to Persuade and Convince Consumers with Neuromarketing
- Kindle: Brainfluence
- Audible: Brainfluence
- Top 10 Profile Photo and Portrait Hacks Based on Science from Neuroscience Marketing
- My free Headshot Hacks checklist!
Share the Love:
If you like The Brainfluence Podcast…
- Never miss an episode by subscribing via iTunes, Stitcher or by RSS
- Help improve the show by leaving a Rating & Review in iTunes (Here’s How)
- Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below
Full Episode Transcript:
*Original air date: May 11, 2017.*