The concept of the starving artist is so widespread that sometimes it’s hard to imagine anyone—other than a few outliers—really succeeding in their craft. But Jeff Goins says we shouldn’t buy into that idea, and that it’s actually much more possible to succeed as an artist than people think.
Jeff Goins is a writer, speaker, entrepreneur, and the best-selling author of five books, including The Art of Work and You Are a Writer (So Start Acting Like One). His award-winning blog Goinswriter.com is visited by millions of people every year, and through his online courses, events, and coaching programs, he helps thousands of writers succeed every year.
Hear key advice for any serious artist who wants to get their career off the ground with @JeffGoins, author of REAL ARTISTS DON'T STARVE. #creativity #art Click To Tweet
In this episode, Jeff shares insights from his new book, Real Artists Don’t Starve, and explains why we shouldn’t buy into the concept of all artists struggling to make ends meet. Listen in to hear his advice for any serious artist who wants to get their career off the ground.
If you enjoy the show, please drop by iTunes and leave a review while you are feeling the love! Reviews help others discover this podcast and I greatly appreciate them!
On Today’s Episode We’ll Learn:
- Why the statistics of artist success rates don’t necessarily provide an accurate picture.
- One of the important first steps to becoming an artist or entrepreneur.
- The approach to entrepreneurship that provides the most success in the long run.
- Jeff’s evolution as an artist.
- Why he says there’s never been more opportunity for apprenticeship and mentorship than today.
- Why an apprenticeship no longer means you have to have direct physical contact with someone.
- How to go about beginning a mentor relationship.
- The most important decision you’ll make for your work.
- How where you live affects the work you do.
- Jeff’s take on self-publishing vs. working with a publisher.
- Key things to consider before selling the rights to your work.
Key Resources for Jeff Goins:
Share the Love:
If you like The Brainfluence Podcast…
- Never miss an episode by subscribing via iTunes, Stitcher or by RSS
- Help improve the show by leaving a Rating & Review in iTunes (Here’s How)
- Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below
Full Episode Transcript: