Learn to Connect in a Virtual World with Nick Morgan
Dr. Nick Morgan is one of the country’s top communication speakers, theorists, and coaches. He has written speeches for Fortune 50 CEOs and presidents, as well as coached people to give Congressional testimony, to appear in the media, and to deliver unforgettable TED talks. The author of Give Your Speech, Change the World, Power Cues, and Trust Me, Nick has also written hundreds of articles for local and national publications.
In this episode, he shares insights from his newest book, Can You Hear Me?: How to Connect with People in a Virtual World. Listen in to hear which important cues we lose when communicating virtually, why even typically kind people can easily become online trolls, and what we can do to remain sensitive to emotion in the world of online communication.
Learn how virtual communication changes our perception with @DrNickMorgan, author of CAN YOU HEAR ME?. #communication #virtual #undertones Click To Tweet
If you enjoy the show, please drop by iTunes and leave a review while you are feeling the love! Reviews help others discover this podcast and I greatly appreciate them!
On Today’s Episode We’ll Learn:
- How virtual communication confuses and exhausts our brains.
- The problem with the way earbuds and speakers condense voices.
- What makes criticism seem harsher via virtual communication.
- Why Nick suggests using emojis.
- How virtual communication decreases empathy.
- What we can do to sensitize ourselves to emotion online.
- Why people tend to speak louder than necessary on video calls.
- What gives our voices a unique vocal fingerprint.
- How undertones convey leadership.
- What to do with your voice in order to sound more authoritative.
- Key questions leaders need to ask to gauge their teams’ emotional state.
Key Resources for Nick Morgan:
Share the Love:
If you like The Brainfluence Podcast…
- Never miss an episode by subscribing via iTunes, Stitcher or by RSS
- Help improve the show by leaving a Rating & Review in iTunes (Here’s How)
- Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below
Full Episode Transcript: