Few people have contributed more to understanding human behavior and decision-making than today’s very special guest. A University Professor, David Dornsife Professor of Neuroscience, Psychology and Philosophy, and Director of the Brain and Creativity Institute at the University of Southern California, Los Angeles, Dr. Antonio Damasio has brought groundbreaking insights to the science of emotions and consciousness through his research, theories, and books. His work has been cited over 100,000 times, and his books have been translated into dozens of languages.
In this episode, Dr. Damasio shares insights from his most recent book, The Strange Order of Things, which addresses the evolutionary development of the mind and the role of homeostasis in the generation of cultures. Listen in to learn how our minds and cultures are linked, where decision-making really happens, and the important role our emotions play in key areas of life.
If you enjoy the show, please drop by iTunes and leave a review while you are feeling the love! Reviews help others discover this podcast and I greatly appreciate them!
On Today’s Episode We’ll Learn:
- The distinction between emotions and feelings.
- Why Dr. Damasio says you should not take emotion out of decision-making.
- The two tendencies within each of our minds.
- Problems that tend to accompany life in a group or society.
- How Dr. Damasio’s definition of homeostasis differs from the typical way of thinking about it.
- Why it’s important to look at more than just the brain when studying decision-making.
- What interoception is and why it’s so important to us as humans.
- Why Dr. Damasio calls the gut the first brain, not the second.
Key Resources for Antonio Damasio:
- Connect with Antonio Damasio: Website | Twitter | Facebook
- The Brain and Creativity Institute
- Amazon: The Strange Order of Things
- Kindle: The Strange Order of Things
- Audible: The Strange Order of Things
- Amazon: Descartes’ Error
- Amazon: The Feeling of What Happens
- Amazon: Looking for Spinoza
- Amazon: Self Comes to Mind
- Amazon: Profit First: Transform Your Business from a Cash-Eating Monster to a Money-Making Machine
Share the Love:
If you like The Brainfluence Podcast…
- Never miss an episode by subscribing via iTunes, Stitcher or by RSS
- Help improve the show by leaving a Rating & Review in iTunes (Here’s How)
- Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below
Full Episode Transcript: