A lot has changed on the web since Nathalie Nahai was first on the show – and even more so in the five years since she published her now-classic book on web psychology. Have marketers gotten better at applying psychological techniques to their online endeavors? And what’s around the next curve? Nathalie has these answers, and more.
She joins us to talk about the new issue of her now-classic book Webs of Influence: The Psychology of Online Persuasion and covers how things have changed online since it was published.
Nathalie Nahai is a web psychologist, international speaker and author who helps businesses apply scientific rigor to their website design, content marketing and digital products. She also lectures internationally on the digital application of behavioral sciences, and is the founder of Humanize the Web, a conference that explores both how the internet influences our behaviors and how businesses can harness persuasive technologies for good.
In this episode, we talk about the uptick in psychological marketing on the internet and the ethics discussions its spurred. Nathalie summarizes some new insights about personality and how they’re used to target the right audience. We also debate the idea that technology is addictive, and imagine the future of a more seamless, less screen-dominated future.
Nathalie’s work on web psychology was foundational in the field, and her new insights are just as fascinating!
If you enjoy the show, please drop by iTunes and leave a review while you are still feeling the love! Reviews help others discover this podcast and I greatly appreciate them!
On Today’s Episode We’ll Learn:
- What’s changed in the web psychology space since Nathalie published her book five years ago.
- Why web designers are evaluating their marketing and websites more democratically than before.
- New insights about how targeting certain personality types can enhance your marketing.
- How people interact with mobile technology differently than stationary and why you shouldn’t overlook the importance of ranking in local search.
- Why audio commands may be the future of a more seamless integration of technology into our lives.
Key Resources for Nathalie Nahai and the Latest in Web Psychology:
- Connect with Nathalie: Website | Twitter | Podcast
- Amazon: Webs of Influence: The Psychology of Online Persuasion (2nd Edition)
- Kindle: Webs of Influence: The Psychology of Online Persuasion (2nd Edition)
- Ep #1: Web Psychology and Online Persuasion with Nathalie Nahai on The Brainfluence Podcast
- Turn Your Product Into A Habit with Nir Eyal on The Brainfluence Podcast
- Bellroy Wallets
- Cambridge University’s Apply Magic Sauce
- Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products by Nir Eyal
- Her by Spike Jonze
Share the Love:
If you like The Brainfluence Podcast…
- Never miss an episode by subscribing via iTunes, Stitcher or by RSS
- Help improve the show by leaving a Rating & Review in iTunes (Here’s How)
- Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below
Full Episode Transcript: