In this episode, we’re exploring the sweet spot between marketing and psychology to uncover why people make decisions and reach the judgments that ultimately shape their lives. Listen in as Adam Alter shares how cognitive fluency can help or hinder persuasion, how the pandemic has forced a cultural shift over how we view screen time, and why word choice is an important consideration in brand names and marketing copy.
Adam Alter is a professor of marketing and the Stansky Teaching Excellence Faculty Fellow at New York University’s Stern School of Business, as well as an affiliated professor of social psychology in NYU’s psychology department. In 2020, he was voted Professor of the Year by the student body and faculty at NYU’s Stern School of Business. Also the New York Times bestselling author of two books, Adam has shared his ideas with thousands of people across dozens of audiences, including through his TED Talk, the Joe Rogan podcast, the World Economic Forum, and at dozens of companies and non-profits, including Google, Microsoft, and Amazon.
Learn how our environment shapes our decisions and judgments with @adamleealter, author or DRUNK TANK PINK. #digitaladdiction #psychology Click To Tweet
If you enjoy the show, please drop by iTunes and leave a review while you are feeling the love! Reviews help others discover this podcast and I greatly appreciate them!
On Today’s Episode We’ll Learn:
- The story behind the name of Adam’s book.
- What cognitive fluency is and how you can use it to your persuasive advantage.
- The importance of word choice and language in persuasion.
- How the pandemic has forced a cultural shift when it comes to screen time.
- The impact of our environment on our decisions.
Key Resources for Adam Alter:
- Connect with Adam Alter: Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | LinkedIn
- Amazon: Drunk Tank Pink: And Other Unexpected Forces That Shape How We Think, Feel, and Behave
- Kindle: Drunk Tank Pink
- Audible: Drunk Tank Pink
- Amazon: Irresistible: The Rise of Addictive Technology and the Business of Keeping Us Hooked
- Kindle: Irresistible
- Audible: Irresistible
Share the Love:
If you like The Brainfluence Podcast…
- Never miss an episode by subscribing via iTunes, Stitcher or by RSS
- Help improve the show by leaving a Rating & Review in iTunes (Here’s How)
- Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below
Full Episode Transcript: