Today’s guest is a developmental molecular biologist who has a lifelong fascination with how the brain reacts to and organizes information. Dr. John Medina is an affiliate Professor of Bioengineering at the University of Washington School of Medicine, as well as the author of the New York Times bestseller Brain Rules, a provocative book that takes on the way our schools and work environments are designed. He also wrote Brain Rules for Baby—a must-read for parents and early-childhood educators—and recently released his new book, Brain Rules for Aging Well.
In this episode, John discusses fascinating research on what improves people’s ability to recall information, how simple visual changes can trick our brains, and more. He also shares tips for making presentations more effective, as well as practical things you can do to keep your mind sharp as you age.
If you enjoy the show, please drop by iTunes and leave a review while you are feeling the love! Reviews help others discover this podcast and I greatly appreciate them!
On Today’s Episode We’ll Learn:
- How to make people recall things better and in clearer detail.
- The simple understanding which guides everything a business professional, professor, or presenter should do when conveying information.
- The fascinating way John used smell to get more correct answers from students.
- Why using pictures is so important in making presentations, marketing strategies, and communication in general.
- How simple visual changes can trick our other senses, as well.
- The six questions our brains ask when processing information.
- What ideal PowerPoint slides should look like—and how many letters they should have on them.
- Things you can do to make your presentations more impactful and memorable.
- Tips for keeping your mind sharp as you age.
Key Resources for John Medina:
- Connect with John Medina: Website
- Amazon: Brain Rules (Updated and Expanded): 12 Principles for Surviving and Thriving at Work, Home, and School
- Kindle/eTextbook: Brain Rules (Updated and Expanded)
- Audible: Brain Rules (Updated and Expanded)
- Amazon: Brain Rules for Aging Well: 10 Principles for Staying Vital, Happy, and Sharp
- Kindle: Brain Rules for Aging Well
- Audible: Brain Rules for Aging Well
Share the Love:
If you like The Brainfluence Podcast…
- Never miss an episode by subscribing via iTunes, Stitcher or by RSS
- Help improve the show by leaving a Rating & Review in iTunes (Here’s How)
- Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below