Colin Bryar joined Amazon in 1998—four years after its founding—and spent the next 12 years as part of the senior leadership team as the company grew from a domestic (US-only) seller of books to a global, multi-dimensional powerhouse and innovator. He served as Vice President at Amazon, and spent two of his years as Chief of Staff to Jeff Bezos, a.k.a. “Jeff’s shadow.” During this time, he spent each day attending meetings, traveling, and discussing business and life with Jeff.
In this episode, Colin describes what it was really like working alongside Jeff Bezos, as well as what Jeff’s superpowers are when it comes to business. Listen in to learn how Amazon developed single-thread leadership within the organization, why the company moved away from using PowerPoint as a means of persuasion and analysis (and what they use instead), and what Jeff Bezos considers one of the best things that Amazon has ever done.
Get the inside scoop on #Amazon's success secrets with @CBryar, former Jeff Bezos 'Shadow' and author of WORKING BACKWARDS. #JeffBezos Click To Tweet
If you enjoy the show, please drop by iTunes and leave a review while you are feeling the love! Reviews help others discover this podcast and I greatly appreciate them!
On Today’s Episode We’ll Learn:
- The real benefit of long-term thinking.
- What it was like being Jeff Bezos’ shadow.
- The superpowers Colin observed in Jeff Bezos that have helped him succeed.
- How Amazon works backwards to decide whether to bring something to market.
- Why Amazon dropped PowerPoint for written narratives.
- Some of the creative ways that Amazon has removed friction.
- Why single-thread leadership is important and how Amazon develops this in the organization.
- How Amazon tests its market assumptions.
Key Resources for Colin Bryar:
- Connect with Colin Bryar: Website
- Amazon: Working Backwards
- Kindle: Working Backwards
- Audible: Working Backwards
Share the Love:
If you like The Brainfluence Podcast…
- Never miss an episode by subscribing via iTunes, Stitcher or by RSS
- Help improve the show by leaving a Rating & Review in iTunes (Here’s How)
- Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below
Full Episode Transcript: