We’ve all heard a certain saying about curiosity and the unfortunate fate of a cat, but have you ever wondered where that questioning mindset comes from in the first place? What is it that makes us eager to know more? Dr. Mario Livio is here today to answer that question and explain how marketers can use the science behind curiosity to make appealing advertisements.
An internationally renowned astrophysicist, a best-selling author, and a popular speaker, Dr. Livio has published more than 400 scientific papers on topics ranging from Dark Energy and cosmology to black holes and extrasolar planets. He is also the author of six popular science books, including The Golden Ratio, Brilliant Blunders, and Is God A Mathematician? (the basis for the 2016 Emmy-nominated NOVA program The Great Math Mystery).
His newest book is entitled Why? What Makes Us Curious, and he joins us to discuss that very subject. Tune in to find out where curiosity comes from and how you can use it produce powerful marketing messages.
If you enjoy the show, please drop by iTunes and leave a review while you are feeling the love! Reviews help others discover this podcast and I greatly appreciate them!
On Today’s Episode We’ll Learn:
- Techniques for using curiosity to create compelling content.
- How marketers and storytellers can use the information gap theory to get people interested.
- Why clickbait titles work.
- The link between curiosity, the brain’s reward system, and the formation of memories.
- Storytelling tricks that maximize uncertainty and keep readers following along.
- The key difference between enjoyable uncertainty and uncomfortable uncertainty.
- How advertisers use curiosity and the “aha” moment to create compelling ads.
- Subtle things you can do to pique curiosity.
Key Resources for Mario Livio:
- Connect with Mario Livio: Facebook
- Amazon: Why? What Makes Us Curious
- Ebook: Why? What Makes Us Curious
- Audible: Why? What Makes Us Curious
- Amazon: Brilliant Blunders: From Darwin to Einstein
- Amazon: The Golden Ratio: The Story of PHI, the World’s Most Astonishing Number
Share the Love:
If you like The Brainfluence Podcast…
- Never miss an episode by subscribing via iTunes, Stitcher or by RSS
- Help improve the show by leaving a Rating & Review in iTunes (Here’s How)
- Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below
Full Episode Transcript: