Is there a hidden persuasion industry? Do you think people (or even yourself) can be persuaded or nudged into a direction they otherwise would not have taken, good or bad? In the past, while you created your marketing plans, have you ever wondered how to maximize revenue but at the same time avoid sales that buyers later regret?
This week, my special guest is a first on The Brainfluence Podcast and you’ll enjoy hearing his different take on persuasion and neuromarketing. James Garvey has a Ph.D. in philosophy, he’s an officer of the Royal Institute of Philosophy and the editor of The Philosophers’ Magazine.
James is the author of several philosophy books, The Great Philosophers, The Story of Philosophy, and The Ethics of Climate Change. His work has been featured in The Guardian, The Times Literary Supplement, The Huffington Post, The New Statesman, and the Times Higher Education.
James’s latest book, The Persuaders: The Hidden Industry that Wants to Change Your Mind, is one that merits a serious look. As most of The Brainfluence Podcast listeners are engaged in persuasion in one way or another, this interview is one you shouldn’t miss. Listen in as James brings his sometimes skeptical but well-informed look at the world of marketing, ethics and persuasion.
If you enjoy the show, please drop by iTunes and leave a review while you are still feeling the love! Reviews help others discover this podcast and I greatly appreciate them!
On Today’s Episode We’ll Learn:
- Why James became a philosopher.
- How The Persuaders is not your typical book about marketing.
- James’s goal when writing The Persuaders.
- Why you need to understand the ethics of neuromarketing before you employ it.
- James’s ethical concerns about the government using nudging.
- Connect with James: James Garvey | Books | The Philosophers’ Magazine
- Amazon: The Persuaders: The Hidden Industry That Wants to Change Your Mind by James Garvey
- Kindle Version: The Persuaders: The Hidden Industry That Wants to Change Your Mind by James Garvey
- Amazon: The Great Philosophers by Jeremy Stangroom & James Garvey
- Amazon: The Story of Philosophy: A History of Western Thought by Jeremy Stangroom and James Garvey
- Amazon: The Twenty Greatest Philosophy Books by James Garvey
- Amazon: The Ethics of Climate Change: Right and Wrong in a Warming World (Think Now) by James Garvey
- Amazon: The Continuum Companion to Philosophy of Mind (Continuum Companions) by James Garvey
- Amazon: The Hidden Persuaders by Vance Packard
- Amazon: Predictably Irrational, Revised and Expanded Edition: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions by Dan Ariely
- Marco Rubio
- Robert Cialdini
- Zig Ziglar
- The Royal Institute of Philosophy
Share the Love:
If you like The Brainfluence Podcast…
- Never miss an episode by subscribing via iTunes, Stitcher or by RSS
- Help improve the show by Leaving a Rating & Review in iTunes (Here’s How)
- Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below
Full Episode Transcript: