Many of us leap to conclusions when trying to solve our problems, whether they are personal, financial, or otherwise. But is there a better, more thought-out way to find solutions?
Matthew E. May is a specialist in critical thinking, as well as a prolific author of books about ideas and how to improve them. His new book, titled Winning The Brain Game: Fixing the 7 Fatal Flaws of Thinking, aims to point out seven common, yet destructive, flaws in our thinking patterns. Matthew’s book (and interview!) will help you understand these flaws, how you can change the way you think, and why it’s crucial to do so.
Matthew E. May is an innovation strategist and the author of five books, the latest being Winning the Brain Game: Fixing the 7 Fatal Flaws of Thinking. His work has appeared in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, AMEX Open Forum, Strategy+Business, The Rotman Magazine, Fast Company, and Harvard Business Review. Although Matt holds an MBA from The Wharton School and a BA from Johns Hopkins University, he counts winning the New Yorker cartoon caption contest as one of his most creative achievements.
Plug into our discussion on how you can change your thinking in order to solve problems by shifting your perspective. You’re sure to come away with techniques you can apply right away to enhance your critical thinking skills.
If you enjoy the show, please drop by iTunes and leave a review while you are still feeling the love! Reviews help others discover this podcast and I greatly appreciate them!
On Today’s Episode We’ll Learn:
- Matt’s technique of “frame-storming” and how it can help you look at problems from a new perspective.
- Why it’s important to avoid “analysis paralysis” brought on by overthinking.
- Why you can “satisfice” while you’re testing a new idea – but why you shouldn’t down the line if you want to avoid mediocrity.
- Why we downgrade our goals out of fear of failure – and how you can avoid doing so.
- Connect with Matthew: https://matthewemay.com| Matt’s Column at Inc. | LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook
- Amazon: Winning The Brain Game: Fixing the 7 Fatal Flaws of Thinking
- Kindle Version: Winning The Brain Game: Fixing the 7 Fatal Flaws of Thinking by Matthew May
- Matt’s Other Books:
Share the Love:
If you like The Brainfluence Podcast…
- Never miss an episode by subscribing via iTunes, Stitcher or by RSS
- Help improve the show by Leaving a Rating & Review in iTunes (Here’s How)
- Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below