When was the last time your business dealt with growing pains? Or experienced the discomfort of reinvention that often accompanies a breakthrough? Change is difficult, and it’s natural for people to resist.
This week’s guest shares how leaders can guide their organizations through these tricky situations, which are always full of opportunity.
Patti Sanchez is an expert communicator, marketer, and author who has lent her skills to dozens of global brands. Patti has studied those leaders that could effectively lead people through major changes in their organizations. To share the insights she gained, Patti and Nancy Duarte (her boss and past Brainfluence Podcast guest) wrote Illuminate: Ignite Change Through Speeches, Stories, Ceremonies, and Symbols.
In Illuminate, Patti and Nancy break down the tools great leaders can use to inspire action in their team and fuel a movement in their organization.
In this conversation, Patti discusses how writing Illuminate helped she and Nancy experiment with their own organizational transformation at Duarte. She dissects the five essential parts of any journey, and how a good leader can guide and grow with their team throughout. We also discuss the role of empathy when dealing with those resistant to change, and how the difference between a vision flopping or flourishing is in its communication.
Patti Sanchez is a communicator with 25 years of experience in leading transformative marketing initiatives for brands including Adobe, HP, Nike, and GE. She is also the Chief Strategy Officer for Duarte, Inc., where she leads a team of writers and consultants in providing counsel to clients for the conception and implementation of creative, compelling presentations to lead their organizational shifts.
Patti’s passion truly lies in helping communicators and leaders create genuine connections with their audiences and teams. She has led hundreds of communication workshops for marketing and sales leaders throughout the industry, spreading her communication tools throughout the country.
Patti has also used her training as a communicator to benefit several community services organizations, including a foster care organization called Future Families, Facing History and Ourselves, and teaching apprenticeships for inner-city kids at Citizen Schools.
Great communicators are always looking to improve — so listen in and pick up some new tools for your communication arsenal.
If you enjoy the show, please drop by iTunes and leave a review while you are still feeling the love! Reviews help others discover this podcast and I greatly appreciate them!
On Today’s Episode We’ll Learn:
- How you can use storytelling techniques to start a movement.
- Why people might resist your movement, and how to listen to them and bring them on board.
- The step leaders commonly skip when communicating their vision.
- What constitutes a ceremony and how they can cement change in your organization.
- How symbols can remind your team of the overarching vision and keep them motivated.
Key Resources for Patti Sanchez:
- Connect with Patti: Duarte | Twitter | Illuminate on Duarte
- Amazon: Illuminate: Ignite Change Through Speeches, Stories, Ceremonies, and Symbols
- Kindle: Illuminate: Ignite Change Through Speeches, Stories, Ceremonies, and Symbol
- Audible: Illuminate: Ignite Change Through Speeches, Stories, Ceremonies, and Symbols
- Amazon: Resonate: Present Visual Stories that Transform Audiences
- Amazon: slide:ology: The Art and Science of Creating Great Presentations
- Illuminate: Visual executive summary
- Free books:
- Mythology by Edith Hamilton
- Ep #16: Presentation Persuasion with Nancy Duarte on The Brainfluence Podcast
- Steve Jobs Eulogizes Mac OS 9
- Howard Schultz, CEO of Starbucks
- Robert Cialdini of Influence At Work
- “J.C. Penney’s battered workforce is back in the fight” from The Dallas Morning News
- Interface Carpet Company
- Rackspace Cloud Services
Share the Love:
If you like The Brainfluence Podcast…
- Never miss an episode by subscribing via iTunes, Stitcher or by RSS
- Help improve the show by Leaving a Rating & Review in iTunes (Here’s How)
- Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below
Full Episode Transcript: