I’ve got another quick solo episode for you this week to answer some questions I’ve received about Robert Cialdini’s new book, Pre-Suasion: A Revolutionary Way to Influence and Persuade. Since Cialdini’s initial research thirty years ago, he’s only recently added a new principle of persuasion: unity.
In this brief episode, I talk about the definition of unity and provide some examples of unity in action. I cover the intersection of unity and identity, and I discuss what the unity principle isn’t.
I also mention some individuals and companies that have effectively used the unity principle to appeal to their audiences, and how you can do the same. Don’t miss this quick-hit of persuasion information!
I’m the author of Brainfluence: 100 Ways to Persuade and Convince Consumers with Neuromarketing and The Persuasion Slide – A New Way to Market to Your Customer’s Conscious Needs and Unconscious Mind.
There are lots of ways to find my writing and connect with me online:
- Forbes – Brainy Marketing
- Twitter: @rogerdooley
- Facebook: Roger Dooley
- LinkedIn: Roger Dooley
On Today’s Episode We’ll Learn:
- Why using familial language when speaking to others is so persuasive.
- How making people feel like they’ve helped you create something makes them predisposed to like it.
- Why you should ask your audience or customers for “advice” rather than “feedback.”
- How unity and Cialdini’s liking principles differ.
- How you can use the unity principle to persuade more effectively.
Key Resources for Unity:
- What is Unity, Cialdini’s 7th Priniciple? from Neuroscience Marketing
- Ep #126: Robert Cialdini’s New Insight: PRE-Suasion on The Brainfluence Podcast
- Robert Cialdini’s ‘Pre-Suasion’ Extends The Science Of Persuasion from Forbes
- 3 Surprising Takeaways From Robert Cialdini’s ‘Pre-Suasion’ from Entrepreneur
- Cialdini’s 7th Persuasion Principle: Using Unity in Online Marketing from Conversion XL
- Amazon: Pre-Suasion: A Revolutionary Way to Influence and Persuade
- Kindle: Pre-Suasion: A Revolutionary Way to Influence and Persuade
- Audible: Pre-Suasion: A Revolutionary Way to Influence and Persuade
- Amazon: Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion, Revised Edition
- Henri Tajfel’s Social Identity Theory
- Apple’s ‘Get a Mac,’ the Complete Campaign from Adweek
- Warren Buffett’s Shareholder Letter, Annotated from Bloomberg
Share the Love:
If you like The Brainfluence Podcast…
- Never miss an episode by subscribing via iTunes, Stitcher or by RSS
- Help improve the show by leaving a Rating & Review in iTunes (Here’s How)
- Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below
Full Episode Transcript: