Today’s Brainfluence Podcast is the first of its kind, as we are recording in person on campus of the University of Texas, Austin. Our guest is Dr. Art Markman, who is the Annabel Irion Worsham Centennial Professor of Psychology and Marketing and a cognitive scientist. Art is the director of the Human Dimensions of Organizations program at the University of Texas, the executive editor of the Cognitive Science journal and a member of the editorial board of Cognitive Psychology. He has published over 150 articles, co-hosts the NPR show Two Guys on Your Head, and is the author of Smart Thinking, Smart Change, and Habits of Leadership.
Art’s book, Smart Change: Five Tools to Create New and Sustainable Habits in Yourself and Others delves into how the motivational system works. Art explores how to utilize those brain mechanisms that affect behavior, either for good or for bad. Listen in for Art’s practical advice on how to make permanent changes in your life, and reach your business goals.
If you enjoy the show, please drop by iTunes and leave a review while you are still feeling the love! Reviews help others discover this podcast, and I greatly appreciate them!
On Today’s Episode We’ll Learn:
- Art’s definition of a habit.
- Why it is so hard to change your habits.
- How the “go” and “stop” systems can be used to change habits.
- Why the way goals are framed needs to be changed for them to be effective.
- How to make desirable behaviors easier to perform.
Art on Twitter: @abmarkman
Amazon: Smart Change: Five Tools to Create New and Sustainable Habits in Yourself and Others by Art Markman, PhD
Kindle: Smart Change: Five Tools to Create New and Sustainable Habits in Yourself and Others by Art Markman, PhD
Amazon: Smart Thinking: Three Essential Keys to Solve Problems, Innovate, and Get Things Done by Art Markman, PhD
Amazon: Hooked: A Guide to Building Habit-Forming Products by Nir Eyal
Share the Love:
If you like The Brainfluence Podcast…
- Never miss an episode by subscribing via iTunes, Stitcher or by RSS
- Help improve the show by Leaving a Rating & Review in iTunes (Here’s How)
- Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below