First impressions are formed in milliseconds, are long lasting, and are incredibly important. Knowing nothing about candidates other than their photos, subjects were 70% accurate in predicting the outcome of actual elections. Our guest on this episode, Alexander Todorov, describes this research and shares other insights about first impressions. His new book Face Value: The Irresistible Influence of First Impressions collects his research and that of other scientists on how facial features, expressions, and other factors can influence people’s judgments and actions.
Alex is a professor of psychology at Princeton University and a widely known researcher in the science of first impressions. He is also affiliated with the Princeton Neuroscience Institute and the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs. His research has been covered by the New York Times, the Guardian, the New Yorker, Scientific American, PBS and NPR.What do people assume about you from your photo? Here's the science of first impressions. Click To Tweet
Alex’s research gives us some valuable insights into how we are seen by other people. He also shares some tips on how to match your look with the image you want to portray and the importance of a smile.
If you enjoy the show, please drop by iTunes and leave a review while you are still feeling the love! Reviews help others discover this podcast and I greatly appreciate them!
On Today’s Episode We’ll Learn:
- Whether or not first impressions are accurate depictions of character.
- How people’s assumptions change based on how much time they have to view an image.
- How Alex’s lab creates renders faces that display a specific characteristic – e.g. trustworthiness – that most people tend to agree on.
- Why viewers’ impressions of others change when they have more information about the person.
- How body language, expressions, hair, and clothing can dramatically change how people make assumptions about you.
- Why it’s important to know your objective and what you’re trying to communicate when you are choosing an image to represent yourself.
Key Resources for Alexander Todorov and Face Value:
- Connect with Alexander Todorov: Website | Bio
- Amazon: Face Value: The Irresistible Influence of First Impressions by Alexander Todorov
- Kindle: Face Value: The Irresistible Influence of First Impressions
- Blog: Want To Be More Attractive? Science Says Have A Drink
- Blog: Top 10 Profile Photo And PortraitHacks Based On Science
- Article: First Impressions: Incredibly Quick To Form, Slow To Change
- Podcast: Top 10 Science Based Headshot Hacks on The Brainfluence Podcast
- Francis Galton
Share the Love:
If you like The Brainfluence Podcast…
- Never miss an episode by subscribing via iTunes, Stitcher or by RSS
- Help improve the show by leaving a Rating & Review in iTunes (Here’s How)
- Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below