Get ready to get psyched up and motivated with today’s guest, Daniel McGinn. Daniel is senior editor at the Harvard Business Review and the author of the new book Psyched Up: How the Science of Mental Preparation Can Help You Succeed. In it, he explores how the right mental preparation can dramatically change the way you perform in all areas, from sports competitions to business meetings alike.
At the Harvard Business Review, Dan also manages the magazine’s annual Best Performing CEOs in the World ranking and edits articles on topics including negotiation, sales, and entrepreneurship.
Dan starts by shedding light on why your mind reacts the way it does under stress and how you can use that reaction to channel excitement rather than fear. We also discuss studies from Dan’s book, including how mind-altering thoughts and rituals can have a positive effect on our performance. Dan then shares specific ways to implement positive psychological techniques into the way you work, from musical- or meditative-centering to pep talks and rituals.
If you enjoy the show, please drop by iTunes and leave a review while you are still feeling the love! Reviews help others discover this podcast and I greatly appreciate them!
On Today’s Episode We’ll Learn:
- Why it’s important to understand your stress reactions.
- Why trying to be super calm is not the best response to nerves or stress.
- What centering is, who uses it, and how you can build it into your routine.
- How performance psychologists can help you discover tactics to deal with turbulent emotions.
- What constitutes “performance contagion” and how this concept could help motivate and empower you.
- How to use visual or physical priming to subtly affect your attitude and mood.
- The empowering impact of music and pep talks that have been proven to work in sports, military and office settings.
Key Resources for Daniel McGinn and Mental Preparation:
- Connect with Daniel: Website | LinkedIn | Twitter
- Amazon: Psyched Up: How the Science of Mental Preparation Can Help You Succeed by Daniel McGinn
- Kindle: Psyched Up: How the Science of Mental Preparation Can Help You Succeed by Daniel McGinn
- Audible: Psyched Up: How the Science of Mental Preparation Can Help You Succeed by Daniel McGinn
- Harvard Business Review (HBR)
- The Juilliard School
- Hoosiers and Marv Wood Story
Share the Love:
If you like The Brainfluence Podcast…
- Never miss an episode by subscribing via iTunes, Stitcher or by RSS
- Help improve the show by leaving a Rating & Review in iTunes (Here’s How)
- Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below