Former Navy SEAL Chris Fussell knows what it takes to work as part of a high-functioning team. On this episode, he shares some of his expertise on team-building while discussing his new book, One Mission: How Leaders Build a Team of Teams, and how businesses and civilian teams can benefit from using proven military-style strategies.
Chris has 15 years of military experience under his belt and is now a Partner at the McChrystal Group Leadership Institute. He has also served as a Senior Fellow for National Security at New America, sits on the Board of Directors for the Navy SEAL Foundation, is a life member of the Council on Foreign Relations, and teaches at Yale University’s Jackson Institute.
Chris dispels many stereotypes about military leadership methods in this episode. He shares examples of how to get an edge on opponents using a more trusting and less hierarchal decision-making process. He emphasizes the need for leadership to create an atmosphere for successful collaboration by creating a unifying message that gets the group focused on a goal bigger than themselves. And finally, we discuss how recognizing the advantage of different viewpoints and conflicting ideas is a key to success.
If you enjoy the show, please drop by iTunes and leave a review while you are still feeling the love! Reviews help others discover this podcast and I greatly appreciate them!
On Today’s Episode We’ll Learn:
- What businesses can learn from how military leadership and team management.
- How important it is to create a narrative that takes full advantage of the human longing to be part of something meaningful.
- Why it is necessary to shift individual team thinking to include the greater group goal.
- How to build trust and create highly effective working relationships between teams.
- What leadership’s role is for creating the right environment to decentralize points of conflict and build communication between teams.
- Why the organizational structure of a business is less important than communication, culture change, and cross-boundary communication.
Key Resources for Chris Fussell and Mental Preparation:
- Connect with Chris: Website | LinkedIn | Twitter
- Amazon: One Mission: How Leaders Build a Team of Teams by Chris Fussell
- Kindle: One Mission: How Leaders Build a Team of Teams
- Audible: One Mission: How Leaders Build a Team of Teams
- The McChrystal Group
- Brad Smith of Intuit
Share the Love:
If you like The Brainfluence Podcast…
- Never miss an episode by subscribing via iTunes, Stitcher or by RSS
- Help improve the show by leaving a Rating & Review in iTunes (Here’s How)
- Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below