Rana el Kaliouby, Ph.D., is a pioneer in artificial emotional intelligence (emotion AI), as well as the co-founder and CEO of Affectiva, the acclaimed AI startup. Also an acclaimed TED Talk and Aspen Ideas speaker, Rana was named one of America’s Top 50 Women in Tech by Forbes and included in Fortune‘s 40 Under 40 list. Today she joins the show to break down the science behind our emotions, facial recognition, and emotional responses.
Listen in as she shares insights from her new book, Girl Decoded: A Scientist’s Quest to Reclaim Our Humanity by Bringing Emotional Intelligence to Technology, including how reliable facial expressions truly are for detecting feelings and how much individual or cultural variation there is when it comes to emotion. You’ll learn why emotional intelligence is so important, how emotion AI is improving teleconferencing, and more.
Learn the science behind our emotions and why emotional intelligence is so important with @kaliouby, author of GIRL DECODED. Click To Tweet
If you enjoy the show, please drop by iTunes and leave a review while you are feeling the love! Reviews help others discover this podcast and I greatly appreciate them!
On Today’s Episode We’ll Learn:
- Why emotional intelligence is so important.
- How reliable facial expressions are for reading emotion.
- Why Rana believes there is more to communication than the basic six emotions.
- How much individual variation there is in emotion.
- What emotion AI is.
- How emotion AI is improving teleconferencing.
Key Resources for Rana el Kaliouby:
- Connect with Rana el Kaliouby: Website | LinkedIn | Twitter
- Amazon: Girl Decoded: A Scientist’s Quest to Reclaim Our Humanity by Bringing Emotional Intelligence to Technology
- Kindle: Girl Decoded
- Audible: Girl Decoded
Share the Love:
- If you like The Brainfluence Podcast…
- Never miss an episode by subscribing via iTunes, Stitcher or by RSS
- Help improve the show by leaving a Rating & Review in iTunes (Here’s How)
- Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below
Full Episode Transcript: