Ximena Vengoechea is a user researcher, writer, and illustrator whose work on personal and professional development has been published in Inc., The Washington Post, Newsweek, and Huffington Post. She is a contributor at Fast Company and The Muse, and is best known for her project The Life Audit. An experienced manager, mentor, and researcher in the tech industry, she previously worked at Pinterest, LinkedIn, and Twitter.
Ximena joins us today to discuss the long lost art of listening as a means of connecting with others, including how to differentiate between what people say and what they actually do, how to get away from surface listening, and how to know when to follow-up or let the conversation flow. Ximena also shares how silence is often used as a tool in user research, and how we can all use silence to our advantage when it comes to connection.
Learn how to ask the right questions to deepen customer connections with @xsvengoechea, author of LISTEN LIKE YOU MEAN IT. #listening #userexperience #UX Click To Tweet
If you enjoy the show, please drop by iTunes and leave a review while you are feeling the love! Reviews help others discover this podcast and I greatly appreciate them!
On Today’s Episode We’ll Learn:
- How to make the distinction between what people do and what they say.
- How silence is often used in user research.
- The good and bad about user experience research that focuses on narration.
- What surface listening is and what you should be doing instead.
- The importance of watching body language in user research.
- The pros and cons of focus groups versus individual interviews.
- How going virtual has changed user research.
Key Resources for Ximena Vengoechea:
- Connect with Ximena Vengoechea: Website
- Amazon: Listen Like You Mean It
- Kindle: Listen Like You Mean It
- Audible: Listen Like You Mean It
Share the Love:
If you like The Brainfluence Podcast…
- Never miss an episode by subscribing via iTunes, Stitcher or by RSS
- Help improve the show by leaving a Rating & Review in iTunes (Here’s How)
- Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below
Full Episode Transcript: