When reading a book or listening to a story, have you ever pictured that scene in your mind; how the scene would play out and what it would look like? This is using your imagination, and that is exactly what our guest this week on The Brainfluence Podcast studies. Jim Davies is an associate professor at the Institute of Cognitive Science at Carleton University, director of The Science of Imagination Laboratory and author of the book, Riveted: The Science of Why Jokes Make Us Laugh, Movies Make Us Cry, and Religion Makes Us Feel One with the Universe.
Using computer software, Jim and his associates are recreating the visual scenes formed by our minds in response to stimulus. By doing this, his team is attempting to understand how the mind creates these scenes and what is happening in the brain while imagination is being used. Jim’s work explains why visual thinking is a powerful problem-solving technique and how the mind visually constructs situations and even different worlds.
Jim’s Book, Riveted, breaks down the similarities between what attracts people to art, religion, sports, books, and gossip. The goal of Riveted is to find what ties all of these things in our world together, why certain pieces of art compel us, or why a book can hold our attention for hours. In his book, Jim strives to help readers to be open to new information and stimulus. Listen in as Jim explains how to become more compelling in both your brand and your business to capture the imagination of your customers.
If you enjoy the show, please drop by iTunes and leave a review while you are still feeling the love! Reviews help others discover this podcast, and I greatly appreciate them!
On Today’s Episode We’ll Learn:
- Jim’s foundations of “compellingness.”
- What makes something compelling to our minds.
- Why incongruity and a longing for understanding are driving factors.
- How telling a story can make any piece of art or sports event more compelling.
- Why scientists need to find ways to incorporate stories into scientific explanations.
Jim Davies: The Blog
Jim Davies on Twitter: @DrJimDavies
Book Website: Riveted by Jim Davies
Kindle Version: Riveted: The Science of Why Jokes Make Us Laugh, Movies Make Us Cry, and Religion Makes Us Feel One with the Universe by Jim Davies
Jim’s Psychology Today Blog: The Science of Imagination
Share the Love:
If you like The Brainfluence Podcast…
- Never miss an episode by subscribing via iTunes, Stitcher or by RSS
- Help improve the show by Leaving a Rating & Review in iTunes (Here’s How)
- Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below