My guest today on The Brainfluence Podcast is quite a unique scholar. Al Roth is the Craig and Susan McCaw Professor of Economics at Stanford University, as well as the Gund Professor of Economics and Business Administration Emeritus at Harvard University. He is the author of Who Gets What And Why: The New Economics of Matchmaking and Market Design. He also happens to have been awarded the Nobel Prize for Economics in 2012.
While winning a Nobel Prize makes Al unique, what sets him apart is his application of his knowledge of economics in solving seemingly intractable real-world problems. His insights have resulted in market creation in areas like city-wide school admissions, hospital internship negotiations, and kidney transplants that save thousands of lives each year.
Today, we’re going to hear how an economics professor turned into a lifesaver and how you can apply some of Al’s insights to your business ventures. The principles that Al has brought to the medical field, and that have been used in some of the great entrepreneurial successes in recent history, are readily accessible to you. These same principles can be used to understand and identify novel business opportunities, reshape the way you view your business and help you experience incredible success.
If you enjoy the show, please drop by iTunes and leave a review while you are still feeling the love! Reviews help others discover this podcast, and I greatly appreciate them!
On Today’s Episode We’ll Learn:
- How matching markets work.
- The markets where prices don’t do all of the work.
- The two types of signals that people send.
- How to use Al’s methods to experience success with online dating.
- How economics is being applied to reduce kidney transplant wait lists.
- Amazon: Who Gets What And Why: The New Economics of Matchmaking and Market Design by Al Roth
- Kindle: Who Gets What And Why: The New Economics of Matchmaking and Market Design by Al Roth
- Connect with Al: Market Design Blog | Google+
- Daniel Kahneman
- Ronald Coase
- Itai Ashlagi
- Donate Life California
Share the Love:
If you like The Brainfluence Podcast…
Join the discussion for this episode in the comments section below